Saturday, March 24, 2012

Aquaculture America 2012: Las Vegas

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend the Aquaculture America 2012 conference, held this year in Las Vegas, Nevada.  The event attracted a wide audience from the US aquaculture industry, as well as many international manufacturers and producers.  The trade show featured hundreds of vendors from around the world, highlighting the latest advances and developments in design and research.


Having previously been to neither a large-scale aquaculture conference nor Las Vegas, I was understandably excited for the trip.  I arrived the evening before the Conference and had the opportunity to walk along the Strip and take it all in.  Yet once the conference started, my focus shifted entirely to my purpose for being there: listening, learning, and networking. 

The sessions covered a broad range of topics, from feed and genetics to economics and regulations.  The presenters themselves were just as varied, with members of government, education, and private sectors all in attendance. 

I had the opportunity to see some familiar faces as well as make many new contacts.  Given the breadth of people and industries in attendance, I feel as if I was successful in casting a wide net in terms of the individuals I met and the discussions I shared.  I am particularly excited about one or two of the people I met and the projects we discussed, which hopefully will be the basis of future articles for this blog. 

Overall I would say that it was time very well spent and I am already looking forward to Aquaculture America 2013 in Nashville next year!   

No comments:

Post a Comment